Last updated: Monday, July 15, 2019
Tea has rapidly grown in popularity in the Western world. With its variety of types and flavors, it makes a healthier alternative to coffee and can help with a variety of bodily issues. If you frequent social media platforms such as Instagram, chances are you might have seen an influencer of some kind advertising a detox tea that helps them balance out on the days they aren’t eating pizza and donuts, or drinking margaritas. So what’s the fuss about?
Detox tea is a special kind of tea that uniquely nourishes the body. Over time, toxins build up in the body and cause health issues. In our age, there are more pollutants in the environment than ever before. Drinking tea is an ideal way to counter these toxins. On this page, we take a look at what detox teas are exactly and the benefits they bring the drinker. Up first, we’ve provided an overview of some of the most popular and best detox teas available.
17 Best Detox Teas Comparison Chart
In our best detox tea comparison chart below, we’ve got all of the teas featured in our review section further down the page. In this easy to browse table we’ve listed the items by price range ascending.
If you’re on a smaller screen or mobile device you may have to select the green plus symbol to expand the table and access more information.
|Celestial's Sleepytime Decaf Green Tea||Mint, Chamomile, Vitamin C||Decaffeinated||Strong, Fruity|
|Magic TeaFit Organic DeTox Tea||Rooibos, Dandelion, Nettle Leaf||Caffeine Free||Strong, Sweet, Licorice|
|Dr. Rosemary's Weight Loss/Detox Tea Therapy||Ginger, Senna, Lemongrass||Caffeine Free||Citrus, Cinnamon, Mint|
|Herba Frame 14 Day Tea Tox||Pu Erh, Lotus Leaf, Goji Berries, Burdock Root||Strong||Mild, Fresh, Herbal|
|Physique Tea 15 Day Teatox Detox Herbal Tea Cleanse||Ku Ding Char, Pu Erh Leaf, Orange Peel||Strong||Strong, Sweet, Mint|
|Capital Teas Organic Detox Tea||Lemon, Vitamin C, Ginger||Medium||Mild, Fruity, Herbal|
|v tea Teatox 14 Day Detox||Burdock Root, Nettle, Dandelion Root||Caffeine Free||Strong, Sweet, Minty|
|Twining's Lemon and Ginger||Lemon, Ginger Root||Caffeine Free||Light, Citrus|
|Yogi Detox||Burdock, Dandelion, Juniper Berry||Caffeine Free||Strong, Spicy|
|Organic Herbal Detox Tea Loose Leaf||Tulsi, Spearmint, Rosehips||Caffeine Free||Strong, Sweet, Citrus|
|Total Tea Gentle Detox Tea||Echinacea, Gynostemma, Papaya||Caffeine Free||Medium, Citrus, Spicy|
|Baetea 14 Day Teatox||Ginger Root, Senna, Rooibos||Strong||Strong, Citrus, Spicy|
|HEY GIRL Cleanse - Detox Tea + Reduce Bloating||Senna, Burdock, Black Walnut||Caffeine Free||Medium, Sweet, Floral|
|MateFit Weight Loss Detox Tea||Yerba Mate, Oolong Tea, Angelica Root||Strong||Mild, Sweet, Herbal|
|Traditional Medicinals EveryDay Detox||Dandelion, Schisandra Berries||Light||Strong, Sweet, Sour|
|310 Tea Slimming Detox Tea Set||Guarana Seeds, Ginger, Oolong Wi Yu||Medium||Strong, Spicy|
|Lyfe Tea 28 Day Teatox||Lemon, Guarana, Moringa, Ginger, Senna, Chamomile, Dandelion, Nettle||Medium||Mild, Fruity, Herbal|
17 Best Detox Teas of 2018
Here are the most effective and best detox teas of this year. These selections were a result of the highest ratings for detox power, taste, popularity, and having no preservatives or artificial ingredients. Rotating through these teas, or adding one of them to an existing rotation is an excellent way to holistically detox the body.
- Detox Ingredients: burdock, dandelion, juniper berry
- Other Helpful Ingredients: sarsaparilla, ginger, black pepper
- Caffeine: Free
- Taste: Strong and spicy
Yogi was founded in 1969 and has been in the tea business for over 40 years. They use high quality, organic ingredients in their teas. Their motto is: “Feel Good, Be Good, Do Good.” Their teas are among the best offerings and their prices are fair. We recommend the Yogi Detox tea, although the Yogi Peach Detox is probably the most delicious. Organic burdock and dandelion aid the liver, while juniper berry purifies the kidneys. A great way to integrate this
- Detox Ingredients: lemon, vitamin C, ginger
- Other Helpful Ingredients: licorice root, peppermint
- Caffeine: Medium
- Taste: Mild, fruity and herbal
Have you been over-indulging or overdone it a bit with the drinking lately? This all organic detox tea from Capital Teas is extremely high in purity. Capital Teas is a renowned American tea retailer with an ever growing base of stores throughout cities such as NYC, Miami, & Denver. If you ever get a chance to visit one of their stores, make sure to stop by one of their sniffing walls!
This particular detox tea is a loose leaf green tea which helps cleanse your body and your senses with a one-two-three combo of lemongrass, lemon peel, and lemon oil. A mango, strawberry, and peppermint infusion help to balance out all that citrus for a truly complex and exquisite taste.
- Detox Ingredients: lemon, ginger root
- Other Helpful Ingredients: blackberry leaves, linden
- Caffeine: Free
- Taste: Light and citrusy
This is a lighter tea from Twinings, a London brand known for it’s bolder morning teas. It is a simple tea made from ginger root and lemon. Twinings Teas has actually been around for over 300 years and they are a founding member of The Ethical Tea Partnership. This partnership functions much like the fair trade coffee organization in ensuring fair working conditions on member tea estates.
- Detox Ingredients: dandelion
- Other Helpful Ingredients: schisandra berries
- Caffeine: Very Light
- Taste: Strong, sweet and sour, bitter and salty
Traditional Medicinals use pharmacopoeial grade herbs to create their tea. This product is designed to promote healthy liver function. Roasted dandelion and chicory roots are packed into this tea to give your liver a whopping detoxification punch that will send those toxins running for the hills.
Unlike the Twinings tea above, this is a very complex tea, that blends sour, salty, roasted, sweet, and bitter into a complex taste for an advanced palette. So this isn’t the detox tea for the weak at heart. Something to keep in mind is that their prices range slightly higher than that of their competitors.
- Detox Ingredients: mint, chamomile, vitamin C
- Other Helpful Ingredients: lemongrass, jasmine, Tilia flowers, hawthorn, rosebuds
- Caffeine: Decaffeinated
- Taste: Strong and fruity
Celestial Seasonings does Sleepytime tea right, and this is a wonderful evening tea option. This is a decaf green tea infused with lemon and jasmine. This combination helps your body to relax and work overtime while you are sleeping in order to flush toxins from the body. Sleepytime Decaf Green Tea is a smooth tea, with a potent jasmine fragrance that is decadent.
- Detox Ingredients: ginger root, senna, rooibos
- Other Helpful Ingredients: guarana, oolong wu yi, vitamin C, pomegranate, lemon, honey
- Caffeine: Strong
- Taste: Strong, citrus and spicy blend
Baetea is the new kid on the block, and they provide a two week teatox product for those pursuing a serious tea detox regime. If you’re committed this may be the best route you can take. Dig in your heels and stick with it for 14 days and you’ll be waving goodbye to toxins. This tea is also known for its appetite suppressing ability.
Be careful though, this product contains senna leaf, which is a natural laxative and can get things moving too much if you overdo it. The caffeine level is also higher, because it blends multiple types of teas that contain caffeine, so you should limit watch your intake from other sources.
- Detox Ingredients: ginger, senna, lemongrass, chamomile
- Other Helpful Ingredients: cardamon, rooibos, milk thistle, fennel, peppermint, cinnamon
- Caffeine: Free
- Taste: Orange, cinnamon and peppermint
If you’re looking for both an appetite suppressant and detox tea, Dr. Rosemary’s product is an excellent choice. Dr. Rosemary is a licensed acupuncture physician, who’s also trained in Chinese medicine and other herbal remedies. The general relaxation a quality tea delivers is an added bonus with this one. With notes of Cinnamon and Peppermint, you can be sure that you’ll be taking more than just a sip of this tea. This is an all organic blend of herbs and is a vegan, gluten and caffeine free tea.
- Detox Ingredients: burdock root, nettle leaf, wild-crafted creosote, dandelion leaf
- Other Helpful Ingredients: fenugreek seed, rosemary, tulsi, yerba beuna
- Caffeine: Free
- Taste: Strong, sweet and minty
Those who are a fan of minty flavors will enjoy V Tea’s Teatox. It has a robust line up of antioxidants including nettle leaf and yerba beuna, which is another name for plants in the mint family. Each package contains 14 servings which can be used alongside an existing diet, or as a standalone. V Tea recommends drinking one cup of their product every morning- just don’t forget to drink plenty of water throughout the day to aid the detoxification process.
V Tea also sells a supplementary tea called the ‘Evening Flush’ that can be used in concert with this morning tea. We’re pretty confident that you can figure out what that tea does to help you on your own.
Special Review: Personal Testimony
Every once in a while a product catches our eye and we get the chance to do a full test and review about it. The Herba Frame 14 Day Tea Tox was tested by our Owner and writer, Ray. She was offered this tea to review for her unbiased feedback:
The 14 Day Tea Tox is definitely one of the best ones I’ve tried so far. I am a big tea drinker, and have used a variety of detox teas, everything from name brand to local blends, just to help my digestive system get on track. Here are some of my first impressions of the Herba Frame 14 Day Tea Tox:
- Attractive Packaging– you can see from the photos that the round box has a simple yet attractive design. It is easy to store and carry with you for an on the go beverage. The container, unlike many bagged versions, is cardboard and recyclable.
- Pre-Measured Portions- Within the container are 28 pre-portioned tea bags (2 for each day), skipping the part where you need to carry a measuring spoon with you.
- Whole Herbal Ingredients– As you can see from the photo I took below, the herbal blend uses large, whole pieces that won’t leak into your drink. I love the contrast of colors and ingredients they use. It’s easy to look at the tea, and the ingredients list and know you’re getting exactly what is advertised. You can read more about the ingredients they chose, and what they can do for you on their website.
- Taste– the flavor of this detox tea is pretty mild compared to others. It helps that they recommend brewing it in 200-400 ml of water- which is quite a lot. Keep in mind, a big part of “detoxing” is really a balance of diet, and drinking more water is a huge part of finding this balance and staying fuller longer.
- Regularity– The tea helped my digestive system to regulate, and I noticed significantly less bloating and stomach irritation. It also helped with my water intake and developing better habits with that.
- Mesh Tea Bags– As far ask I can find, these silk detox tea bags could be biodegradable, but silk takes a long time to break down. Tea bags are often coated in non-biodegradable sealants to keep them from dissolving in water, as well. If we can find more information regarding this, we will update this portion of the review.
- Steeping Time– the time frame of the recommended steeping time is 3-10 minutes. When it comes to a detox tea, I prefer to have a brew temperature, and more precise time frame so I know how to get the best results. At the start, I was brewing about 300 ML and steeping for 6 minutes. Near the end I switched to a 400 ML brew at 5 minutes for a slightly weaker tea.
- Overall Weight Loss– as is similar with many detox teas, the weight loss while taking it was minimal, but I really am an advocate that it be used in conjunction with a healthy eating and living routines. A detox tea should not be used as a meal replacement. I also think results might vary based on steeping time, and perhaps I was not making a strong enough brew.
I still very much liked this two week detox tea, and would recommend it to others to try. It’s especially great for those who want to try a detox, but aren’t a big fan of strong tea flavors.
- Detox Ingredients: senna, burock, dandelion, black walnut, lemongrass, sarsaparilla, nettles, alfalfa, milk thistle
- Other Helpful Ingredients: rose hips, honey bush, grapefruit peel, ginger, orange peel
- Caffeine: Free
- Taste: Medium, sweet and floral
HEY GIRL teas offer an assortment of four tea products. Depending on your goal, they have cleanse, energize, sleep, and feel better. The cleanse product, featured in the above image, is designed to help flush the body of toxins, reduce bloating, and aids in weight loss. The only complaint with this detox tea is the taste, so if you have a sensitive pallet you may want to give a different tea a try.
- Detox Ingredients: Guarana seeds, ginger, oolong wi yu, birch
- Other Helpful Ingredients: Corn, Honey Powder, Yerba Mate and Damiana
- Caffeine: Medium
- Taste: Strong and spicy
310 Tea brings you a metabolic booster in a combination of multiple kinds of teas and spices. Guarana seed is popular in Brazil for increased energy, which helps the body burn calories more efficiently. Guarana and other ingredients also contribute to the drinker feeling more full, which is a helpful tool for achieving weight loss goals. 310 also uses a type of Oolong called Wi Yu, which is known to help the process of burning fat cells. This tea set comes with a BPA tumbler, so your favorite detox tea can go along with you.
- Detox Ingredients: tulsi, spearmint, rosehips, lemon myrtle
- Other Helpful Ingredients: linden blossom berry
- Caffeine: Free
- Taste: Strong, vanilla and citrus
This is one of the highest consumer rated, USDA certified organic, detox tea on the market. That’s a bit of a mouthful, but it’s an honest brag. Tulsi is the dominant ingredient in this detox tea, and is closely related to basil. It helps increase stamina while removing harmful toxins from the body.
- Detox Ingredients: Ku Ding Cha, Pu Erh Leaf, Red Snow, Garcinia Cambogia, Orange Peel
- Other Helpful Ingredients: Panax Ginseng, Turmeric, Bupleurum, Burdock, Celadine, Milk Thistle
- Caffeine: Strong
- Taste: Strong, sweet and mint
Physique has created the ultimate liver cleanse for the post Vegas Weekend detox. Having a well made detox tea after a holiday of overeating and/or eating can help redirect your digestive system to a healthier track. Milk Thistle and many of the other ingredients are great way to cleanse the liver. The 15 Day Detox will also help eliminate bloating and water weight.
Other Recommended Detox Teas:
Here are a few more detox tea options for you that we thought were worth mentioning. Take a look and let us know about your favorite detox tea by contacting us!
- Detox Ingredients: Yerba Mate, Sechung Oolong Tea, Pinhead Gunpowder Tea
- Other Helpful Ingredients: Angelica Root Powder, Guarana Seed Powder and Licorice Root cut
- Caffeine: Strong
- Taste: Mild, sweet and herbal
- Detox Ingredients: Echinacea, gynostemma, papaya, peppermint
- Other Helpful Ingredients: Cinnamon, hibiscus, ginger, rosehips
- Caffeine: Free
- Taste: Medium, citrus and spicy
- Detox Ingredients: Rooibos, dandelion, nettle leaf, rosemary, lemongrass leaf
- Other Helpful Ingredients: Lemon peel, peppermint, licorice, cardamom
- Caffeine: Free
- Taste: Strong, Sweet and Licorice
- Detox Ingredients: Moringa, Guarana, Lemon Peel, Green Tea
- Other Helpful Ingredients: Senna Leaf, Senna Pods, Dandelion Leaf
- Caffeine: Yes
- Taste: Bitter and Subtle
What is Detoxification?
Detoxification is the process of removing toxic qualities or substances from the body. To get more detailed, this process is completed by cleaning the blood. Impurities are removed from the liver, lungs, lymph, skin, intestines, and kidneys. Peter Bennett, author of 7-Day Detox Miracle, acknowledges, “Detoxification works because it addresses the needs of each individual cell. These are the smallest units of human life.”
The process of detoxing has been practiced for centuries. It is used by cultures all over the world, most popularly in Eastern medicine systems. Detoxification is ultimately about cleansing the body from the inside out. It can also help you fortify your health and protect you from illness.
Many health experts recommend detoxifying the body once a year. There are many ways people detox their bodies. Fasting, improving blood circulation, juicing, stimulating the liver, steam baths, exercise, and changing diets are all common methods.
Common Symptoms that Detoxification can Help Alleviate:
- Low-grade infections
- Unexplained or chronic fatigue
- Mental cloudiness
- Irritated skin
- Bags under the eyes, or puffy eyes
- Menstrual problems
Detox Teas: A Traditional Health and Wellness Boon
Detox tea is a special kind of tea to aid the body in flushing toxins. Tea is already known for its robust antioxidant properties. Antioxidants are known to decrease free radicals and oxidative stress in the body.
Too much if these can cause chronic diseases, inflammation, and even cancer. Tea is consumed in such abundance in some Asian countries, and it is thought to be one of the reasons why cancer rates are lower in such countries.
Basic black and green teas are rich in antioxidants. Detox tea ups the ante by containing select herbs that nourish the body, particularly the liver. Such herbs include ginger, milk thistle, lemongrass, and dandelion. The liver is the primary organ that is responsible for clearing toxins from your body. Tea for detox aid your body in quickly getting rid of toxic waste. In turn, this will improve your digestive system.
Make a Plan
A tea detox plan is an excellent supplement to a weight loss strategy. It is not a standalone weight loss method. These types of teas will jump-start your metabolism and help burn hard to access stored fat. Those some individuals replace meals entirely with liquids such as teas, this is not a sustainable solution especially for those with an active lifestyle.
Something like this should only be done for 1 to 3 days. Adding a few cups of detox tea a day to an existing healthy diet is typically the wisest approach. This method can also be sustained for much longer periods of time.
There have been many clinical studies documenting tea’s health benefits. One more recent study, a 2013 analysis from American, Italian, and Dutch researches found that tea may help lower your risk of heart disease and stroke as well as lower your blood pressure.
In addition, they found tea had other benefits such as helping mood and increasing mental performance. This is a critical component of keeping your stress down, energy up, and moderate your body weight.
Benefits of Detox Tea:
- Flush out harsh and damaging toxins
- Start burning stored fat
- Cure digestive problems
- Raise energy levels naturally
Educate Before you Partake
There are some things to be aware of before you start using a detox tea to help cleanse your body, or assist with weight loss. They aren’t reasons that you shouldn’t use detox teas, but it’s better to be prepared then to have surprises later.
First off, you want to make sure that you are drinking a lot of water along with your detox tea. These teas help your digestive system move, and as listed in our reviews, some of them contain natural laxatives. If you aren’t staying hydrated while using natural laxatives then you risk dehydration and nausea.
Second, it’s important to understand that a proper diet needs to go along with drinking these teas. Detox teas are not a meal substitute and should not be used in order to suppress you appetite if you aren’t eating a healthy amount of calories. They can help cut back on cravings to overeat, but should be used in addition to eating fruits, veggies, and a balance of macros.
You can learn more about how to use detox teas to lose weight in a healthy way, in our next section.
Detox Teas and Weight Loss
Detox teas have been caught up in a media storm as a few celebrities have endorsed them as being a key success factor in their weight loss. This has created a lot of buzz and unrealistic expectations. Keep in mind that detox teas should be a supplement to a well adjusted weight loss plan, not the primary part of the plan. The bottom line is you still need to diet and exercise for them to work. Detox teas are not a magic weight loss bullet. They should be combined with healthy and balanced meals to accelerate your weight loss results.
The following video from Brett Cap, a fitness guru on youtube, does a good job of explaining purpose and plan in conjunction with detox teas to help them do their thing.
Another thing to keep in mind is that there is somewhat of a placebo effect with some teas. Particularly teas that combine both diuretics and caffeine. This will trigger the loss of water weight but not actual fat. Two cups of water is equal to 1 pound on a scale, so losing water weight can make you look and feel significantly lighter.
Furthermore, some detox teas will activate a laxative effect. This will cause your body to elimate wastes from your GI tract. This will result in a thinner and flatter looking stomach, even though your lean to fat ratio will remain the same. These illusions of weight loss will quickly evaporate when you return to a normal eating habits and stop drinking tea.
How to “Teatox”
Most nutritionists agree that drinking tea is best absorbed before you wake up and go to sleep. It is a good idea to drink decaf tea before bed. A great rule of thumb is to not drink any caffeine within six hours before bed time.
If you’re partial to tea, or going for a vigorous flush, five to seven cups a day is the suggested limit. If you have any concerns before starting a tea detox plan, consult your doctor or nutritionist prior to beginning.
Perhaps the most important part of a teatox is the food you are eating alongside this detoxification. If your diet is taxing your system, you might be in for a rough ride. To thoroughly detox your body, stick to vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean proteins. Anti-inflammatory fats such as those from certain types of nuts and advocates are okay too. Be sure to cut processed and especially fried food.
What to Look For
A common ingredient to watch out for in detox teas is senna. Senna is a herbal laxative. An essential part of detoxing is cleansing the intestines, and senna certainly aids in this area. Senna is a helpful ingredient to take as, for example, a night time drink for a short span of days. Taking it too long may result in vomiting, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, and diarrhea.